Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I never thought I'd live to see the day...

Good Morning.

Most people thought I was being humorously hyperbolic when I said it, but I was very serious. I grew up in the 80's, son! Such a thing never seemed possible. Not in America. Not within my lifetime. That is why I reflected upon it in this way:

"I never thought I'd live to see the day when The United States of America elected a black President. "

Granted, my life expectancy is shorter than most, but still. I'm very proud of America right now. The world seems much different now. A new world of possibilities exists. For the first time ever Americans of color are not lying to their children when they tell them they can be whatever they want. I don't expect everybody to understand this, but it is true.

Finally, we have someone to aspire to be besides Shaq, Lebron, or fucking Lil Wayne. Nothing against those guys, but as role models go, there's a vast difference between a man with a mouth full of gold teeth who raps in a vernacular barely discernable as english and The President of the United States. Who also happens to be one of the most articulate men I have ever seen. It's possible that the election of a black man to the Presidency will resonate most with black children, but the meaning is the same for all of us. You can be whatever you dare to dream.

Wasn't that The Dream in the first place? Now a man is judged by the content of his character, not the color of his skin. Don't get me wrong. It ain't over yet. The cheer that sprang from our hearts was not the death-toll of racism in America... but here's hoping it was the starter pistol in the marathon that gets us to The Promised Land.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal..."
Amen, brother.

No comments: