Sunday, January 24, 2010

Character Arc

I just watched the last episode of The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. I am a witness. I am once again inspired by the incredible nature of man.

Taking a look back, I think it was 1993 or '4 when Conan first became a late-night talk-show host. He was awful. That saying about there being nothing more painful than watching a comedian grow? Yeah. Hell yeah. (For the record, listening to a drummer grow is right up there.) It was brutal. The guy was just so uncomfortable in his own skin. Monologues, interviews, riffing with Andy, it was all unbearable. I almost felt bad for the guy. Almost. But it was so awkward, I just wanted to smash his ginger little face in. (I was pretty hostile in those days.) I probably watched a half-dozen times in his first couple of weeks. Then I tuned out.

Cut to 1999-2000. People are asking me if I watched Conan last night. "No! Hell no! That guy is still on the air? I had no idea there was a charisma drought in t.v. land." My friends, who had no idea what I was talking about because Conan was on past their bedtime when he started, began telling me about sketches that actually sounded funny. I checked out the show. Conan somehow managed to finally be comfortable with who he is, and the show had improved. I didn't become a rabid fan, but if Conan's show was on I'd check it out. It was entertaining.

Years and years passed. Then I heard that Jay Leno and his special brand of saccharin comedy were leaving the Tonight Show and Conan's taking over. There was joy throughout Boxxyville on that Triumph-ant night. I know everybody says Jay Leno is a great guy, and that may be true, but the man has never once made me laugh. Ever. Do my parents think he's funny? Sure. Me? I personally think watching someone reenact Mr. Blonde's "Stuck in the Middle with You" scene from Reservoir Dogs with Leno in the chair would be WAY funnier than any one of Jay's monologues. (Too harsh? Whatever. You take my meaning. I'm not a fan.)

I checked out the new Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien. Sure. I knew he'd have to tone it down once the mainstream was the core demographic. I had no illusions about seeing Triumph or the Pimpbot on The Tonight Show, but I knew he'd be a step up from Leno. He was. Then again, anything would be a step up from Leno's brand of - I don't want to say "vanilla," because vanilla can be quite delicious. If they made a Water flavored ice cream, that's what Leno's humor tastes like. - Water Ice Cream entertainment.

Getting back on topic, Conan did a good job. Once again, I didn't become a passionate fan, but it seemed like he had taken enough of the frat-house humor out of his act that America would get on board. Man, my finger is so not on the pulse of the American mainstream! So six months later, Conan's ratings are in the shitter, and they're talking about bringing back Leno.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Since I wasn't a rabid Conan fan I wasn't heartbroken. I felt bad for the guy, but he's had a good run. He'll live. As for the American air waves being subjected to Leno once again? Feels like par for the course at this point. But I kept reading headlines and comments about how classy Conan was on his last show, so I thought I'd check it out. He was tremendous. He took some shots at the network brass, as any red-blooded American would in the same situation. He monologued on his wish for it to be a night of fun. He poured out his gratitude to the audience for their outpouring of support and goodwill. And he thanked NBC for the two-decades-long partnership they shared, and expressed his thanks for the opportunity in spite of the acrimonious ending.

Then Conan donned his axe, and closed the show with an all-star band fronted by Will Ferrell as Ronnie Van Zant performing Lynyrd Skynyrd's Freebird. It was amazing. That is an idea that could so easily fall off a cliff into a river of ham-fisted self-pity, but it didn't. It was actually the exact right note.

In a final nod of appreciation to the audience, Ferrell busted out the cow bell. It all just worked. The glue that held it all together was Conan's character, in an era that has lacked character so desperately. Conan O'Brien displayed sincerity, integrity, heart, humor, and all of the best components of our nature that embody the character that eludes most of us. He even went so far as to implore the audience to abandon cynicism - which resonated to my very core. Cynicism is my default stance when faced with adversity. Here was a man facing losing his dream job on an enormous stage, and he faced it with grace and dignity. A man who, a decade-and-a-half earlier, was palpably not comfortable standing in is own skin, walked away with his head held high, his dignity in tact, and said goodbye his way.

I am now a foaming-at-the-mouth rabid Conan O'Brien fan. I can't wait to see what he does next. He has won the full measure of my respect and admiration, and I'm hopeful that the next Conan O'Brien we see will be the best one yet.

No comments: